We’ve been living in the house now for around six weeks and we couldn’t wait to get things moving on our proposed plans for the attic and the kitchen / dining room downstairs. We’re not adverse to the odd bit of home improvement, but we’ve never undertaken taken a project of this size before.
The one thing that we did make a start on was our son’s bedroom. He’s currently in the smaller of the bedrooms but will move into the middle-sized room eventually. When we viewed the house prior to buying it the middle bedroom had wooden flooring, but when we returned for a second viewing we discovered that the wooden flooring did not cover the whole floor. The previous owner had installed the flooring once she had erected the wardrobes, and the flooring had been lain up to, and not under, the wardrobes!
The bedroom had been decorated with wood-chip wallpaper and then painted. It had to go! However when we started to remove the wallpaper some of the plaster came away with the old paper. We sort of expected this, but what we didn’t expect was that some of the plaster had become ‘blown’ and this was due to water ingress from the roof 😦
The home report carried out on the house prior to purchase did indicate that we should get someone to check the roof out but we didn’t quite expect the estimate for the roof repair to be quite so high. The estimate came in at just under £4000! 😦 The roof repair was going to make quite a dent in our funds for the renovations. We naively thought the estimate would be approximately £500 to £1000 … how wrong were we!!